Monday, March 30, 2009

Britcoms....


Rick and I have a little tradition that started before we were parents and so now sometimes we have to DVR the programs...but each Sunday night we pile into bed and watch the Britcoms that PBS offers. It generally starts with Keeping Up Appearances...Rick usually "passes out" just after As Time Goes By but I always have to finish up with the Vicar of Dibley.

Last night we were watching and I mentioned again my dream to live a few years in another country. I really think (for now) I've settled on the idea of England. We can live there as I've explained to him for a couple of years between the boys having college and actually having grandchildren...and enjoy life!

The more I watch International House Hunters and the more I read books on those that have decided to tackle this from Peter Mayle to that other guy...oh, what's his name? I think, this is on my top ten list for things I want to do before I am called home.

Having spent the equivalent of only 3 weeks (give or take) in London and surrounding areas in my life, I can say it truly is one of my favorite places on the planet. Granted, my traveling has been limited compared to a lot of people but for some reason I instantly fell in love with the British culture upon my arrival. Although I don't think I'd choose London to reside, too expensive, too big and too much...would be nice to have speedy access to though.

I'm not claiming to know the ins and outs of anything over there but a chance to live over there would provide some semblance of what we know and yet much of what we don't with access to the rest of Europe. The hint of mystery is part of the draw!

Last night's House Hunters International was a British couple seeking a home in Spain and while I did fall in love with their selection and it's "love nest" qualities as well as the price tag! Very reasonable in my opinion! I still don't think I could just pop into a culture where English is not the primary language. Call me lazy but if I'm going to jump headfirst into another culture and "set up camp" so to speak for a few years, I don't think I want the language barrier to be part of the equation.

And after all, I can take a quick jaunt down to Paris, Rome, Madrid, what have you just that much more easily calling Great Brit home!

It all sounds like pipe dreams...I know. But I'm quite serious about it all.

And let me add, I do love that Dame Judi Dench!

1 comment:

everyday graces said...

I have a similiar dream. Love this blog. http://french-word-a-day.typepad.com/motdujour/ Read her about page...I'm fascinated.