Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

An excerpt:

"Shepherd, my friend. This month, in certain quarters, people are burning the Graphic Survey because it contains a picture story on life in Russia. Photographs of farms. Windmills, whatever they have on farms. Russian cows. This incites people to bonfires."

"What do you think is frightening them?"

"Hearst news. If the paper says everyone this season will be wearing a Lilly Dache' hat that resembles an armadillo, they will purchase the hat. If Hearst tells them to be afraid of Russia, they will buy that too."

"If the hat is too ridiculous, not everyone buys it."

Artie finally ashed his cigarette, then paused to light a new one from the old, which he left burning in the ashtray, presumably for ambiance. He reorganized his S-shaped body into a thoughtful pose against the desk. "Do you want to know my theory?"

"Of course."

"I think it's the bomb."

"People are afraid of the bomb?"

"Yes, I believe that is the heart of the matter. When that bomb went off over Japan, when we saw that an entire city could be turned to fire and gas, it changed the psychology of this country. And when I say 'psychology,' I mean that very literally. It's the radio, you see. The radio makes everyone feel the same thing at the same time. Instead of millions of various thoughts, one big psychological fixation. The radio commands our gut response. Are you following me?"


This particular paragraph from this 507 paged book has stuck with me over the last few days. It really makes me want to turn off my TV.

After reading this book I am taken aback by a lot of what history had to offer during this time period. For the thinking man or woman in America, it had to be a very confusing time. Not that right now is particularly clear either.

But oh how things changed as media emerged. Fascinating, fascinating.

No comments: